In celebration of its 20th birthday – and 20 years of democracy in South Africa – the District Six Museum partnered with Ogilvy & Mather Cape Town to produce a limited edition newspaper insert in the Cape Argus dated 23 September 1966, in honour of Heritage Day.
The idea is to provide Cape Argus readers with an ‘alternative history’, through offering another view as to what the newspaper might have looked like if the apartheid regime had never proceeded on its destructive course. Real people were used to pay tribute to the sporting, academic, music, artistic and literary achievements of the once vibrant community that was District Six.
The aim is to generate conversation of what might have been and what lessons we can learn going forward, by looking back and not making the same mistakes we did then.
- Alison Hingle – Copywriter
- Tania Barker – Art Director
- Chris Gotz – Executive Creative Director
- Account Management: Charity Ndisengei, Jamie Curtis, Devin Jones, Thania September
- Ogilvy Public Relations: Amelia May-Woudstra, Roxanne Leibrandt, Lisa Johnson